Monday 30 January 2023

Anguish as POS operators charge N500 on N5000 as DSS arrests bank officials, others for selling currency notes.

 



The Department of State Services (DSS) has intercepted some members of organised syndicates involved in the sale of the new redesigned naira notes in parts of the country.

DSS also stated that some Commercial Bank officials are aiding the economic malfeasance.  


Meanwhile, POS operators are smiling to the banks as they are making brisk business from the scarcity of the naira notes. 

Our correspondent who visited the stands observed that for every N5000 cash withdrawn from the POS operators, they charge N500 as additional fees against N100 they were collecting before the rush last weekend to end the swap of old naira notes. 

Also, the POS operators were observed at the Automated Teller Machines ATM of banks withdrawing huge sum of money with different ATM cards and this has worsen the long queues at the ATMs. 

A resident who said he had visited two ATM points , stated that POS operators should be checked. 

" On Saturday, I went to two ATM points. I had left my house before 7am and I didn't get money to cash from the POS until 6pm.When I went to the first ATM, I noticed that some people were busy withdrawing money with different ATM cards. Some had about 15 cards on them. I waited patiently for my turn but as it was about to get to me, the ATM stopped dispensing cash. I was sad. I started going about until I got to one of the banks and noticed a few people were on the queue. I decided to wait but the queue was slow. Then I noticed that the same scenario was playing out . Eventually, I got money to withdraw. However when I was heading home after paying for the ride, the bikeman collected new currency note from me and gave me old notes as balance. He said he didn't have new notes. I had to accept". 

Speaking on the arrest , Peter Afunnaya the spokesperson for the DSS said ". 


Consequently, the Service warns the currency racketeers to desist from this ignoble act. Appropriate regulatory authorities are, in this same vein, urged to step up monitoring and supervisory activities to expeditiously address the emerging trends. 


It should be noted that the Service has ordered its Commands and Formations to further ensure that all persons and groups engaged in the illegal sale of the notes are identified. Therefore, anyone with useful information relating to this is encouraged to pass the same to the relevant authorities. 




No comments:

Post a Comment