Friday 6 January 2023

Ace Photojournalist dies months after robbery attack in Lagos

Ace Photojournalist with the Guardian newspaper, Mr. Femi Adebesin - Kuti has passed on. His death was announced thus : 

*Our dear friend and brother, the ever-jovial Femi Adebesin-Kuti, passed away last night (at 11:55 p.m.) after battling an undisclosed ailment. 💔 A Great Loss To Photojournalism, Media Visual Storytelling* 

Mr.  Kuti 's demise is coming less than a year he and his colleague were attacked by armed robbers in Lagos while they were on thier way back from work.   Narrating how they were attacked his colleague wrote 

His  media colleagues have been pouring in their grieves over the demise 

 One of his colleague Abiodun Omotosho wrote " " Haaaaa! I started my media carrier at the same place with Kuti who singlehandedly mentored me, groomed me and made me to stayed at the upper room of the Guardian Newspaper in Rutam House. You can't work with Kuti and be slothful or lazy. As an ace and prolific Photojournalist, he made sure I followed suit. I also had the opportunity of working with Femi when I joined NEXT Newspaper as a Photojournalist in December 2008. I remembered when I was tired of being working, when the task was hard with Mr. Gbile Osadipe, the Photo Editor. I complained to Femi a hardworking, social, friendly & fun comrade, all he had to say is continue the work. It was not a gainsaying that both Kuti and I always produced the hard copies of NEXT Newspaper on the same desk when everyone had left before Pastor Sunday came to the rescue! 


How can I forget when Kuti was opportuned to cover the World cup in South Africa, he told me stories about some South Africans and Africans. Even when I too had the opportunity to secure the invite to attend the 18th Africa Journalism Conference at Wits University, Johannesburg, South Africa recently, he adviced me to be an African Man. He said I should be natural and shoot as a Nigerian, just the way I use to shoot in Lagos. He advised to get better tools. Kuti was kitted for the job! Kuti was Jovial. He loved people. I remembered when they payed double salary in a day at NEXT Newspaper, I don't know if I can still find the picture, Kuti danced 'Buga' even before Buga was introduced. 


We shall all miss him!!! I pray that the Lord give his family the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss. I miss the Photo guru and my Editor!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment