Tuesday 12 May 2020

I killed my baby so I can achieve my dream of becoming a lawyer----- 
By Patience is Ogbo 


For 22 years old Fumilola Adisa, her toddler had to die for her to make progress in life. 
Call it madness as a result of postnatal depression or sheer wickedness but the deed has been done. A beautiful baby's life has been cut short and the mother is the suspect. 
Yes , the mother killed her baby by drowning her in a bucket filled with water. Her baby was one year six month when she was murdered by a mother whom is supposed to cater for her. 

The incident which took place at Gowon Estate in Lagos has thrown police and residents in shock especially when the reason she gave for killing her baby was  " I killed my baby because she deprived me of realising my dream of becoming a lawyer"

Asked how she allegedly murdered the child, she said" I drowned my baby inside a bucket filled with water on Monday. Thereafter, I reported myself at the Gowon estate division. The police did not come immediately but when they did, they found the dead baby inside the bucket"
Narrating the hardship she has passed through to raise the child singlehandedly, she said "I was impregnated by a boy who attended same JAMB lesson with me . But he rejected the pregnancy. I wanted to abort the pregnancy but  my father said no. I passed my JAMB and was offered admission to study Law at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, but I had to defy the admission because of the baby. I wanted to take her to the orphanage home at first ,when it became difficult to take care of her. I live with my sister who has no job and I am also not working. I felt there was no use keeping her since I could not take care for her.
" I killed her because I was frustrated but most importantly, because she stood in the way of actualising my dream of becoming a lawyer", she said.

Her elder  sister who did not want her name mentioned,  said " I suspected she is gradually developing mental problem. Our mother had same mental problem before she died. We live in the same apartment but have our separate bedrooms. I didn't know when she drowned the baby, until the Police arrived".
Police sources hinted  that medical checks would be conducted on the suspect to know her mental health. 
" But that will not stop her from facing the consequence of her action ", police sources said.
The suspect it was learned has since been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department at Yaba". 

No comments:

Post a Comment