Monday 27 May 2013

HOW N15MILLION BRIBE WOULD HAVE KILLED CYNTHIA OSOKOGU’S MURDER CASE INTERVIEW WITH ASSISTANT  COMMISSIONER OF POLICE  AREA “E” FESTAC TOWN. DAMIEN OKORO.
BY PATIENCE OGBO
 ACP Okoro was one of the police officers conferred with meritorious award and certificate of bravery by President Goodluck Jonathan at the recent event to mark the police week in Abuja .
 The award is in recognition of his groundbreaking investigation into the gruesome murder of Cynthia Osukogu, a postgraduate student murdered by her face book friends in Lagos.
ACP Okoro in an interview after he received his award stated that Miss Osokogu’s killers offered him N15million to compromise the case. He also spoke about his love for unraveling crime and the need for police officers to improve themselves on the job.
He said “ I try to achieve a fete  in my profession and in all I do . Investigations into the murder of Miss  Osukogu was not an easy one as she was killed in such a manner that it would take a very intelligent officer to arrest her killers. There was no complainant , no means to locate her family as her phones were styolen by her killers . We also could  not Identify her or say this was where she was coming from. Investigation into the killing   took my officers and I to Cotonu in Benin REPUBLIC where we played a decoy  undercover as we broke the barrier of the INTERPOL that would have slowed down the case.  We went to Anambra State University.
When, we got the call log, It was about 300- 400 pages and we did a deep study of the call log; involved  forensic analysis –it was tasking analyzing all the activities on the social media, Facebook, twitter. I took a great risk putting my life and that of my officers on the line  to go after the killers because my spirit was high and that was why I took the risk not minding that there is grave danger we made arrest about midnight 1;15am  until 3.15am we were in operation. It was the painstaking forensic investigation we did that showed the suspect was economical with the truth about his location. He was in Lagos State but claimed he was in Abuja.
Did  you think that you will be celebrated for  arresting  Cynthia’s killers?
 ACP Okoro: My mind was not on any award. I was just doing what a police officer is expected to do in such a situation to find the killers. I am very glad and I feel elated at the awards and certificates I have received and the President’s award is a great fete that is not common. I am fulfilled and I thank God that I was honored -It is nothing compared to the N15million I was offered. Today have been celebrated and that is all I wanted. I received the National Orientation Agency, Security Watch Africa awards, the best Area Commander in Nigeria award in 2012 also, the IGP award and the President’s meritorious award. If we had collected money, the celebration would not be today.
I am happy because I never compromised the case because if I had done that then this award would not be today. Actually, the suspect gave me money for us to kill Cynthia Osokogu’s murder  and there were pressure from everywhere that we should not arrest other suspects. I got furious when Eche, the killer was bold to say that I should remove the handcuff   from his hands; that he wants to go home and his people are coming to “see” me. He told me that why am I bothering myself with that prostitute?  I told him he was not going anywhere. He thought I was being tough so he offered, N10million. I was just looking at him and I said, you cannot go anywhere . He thought I was looking for more money so he increased his bribe to N15million. At this point, I became very furious with  him that he had no remorse after killing a human being in that manner . I stood my ground that he cannot go after committing such heinous crime. He thought I was joking but he got the message when my men took him away and locked him up. If I had collected that N15million, then we would not be talking about this award. The N15million is nothing to be compared with the life time award I received from the president. This award is not a mean fete. I will cherish the award all my life.  It shows that if one works hard, and is dedicated, the person would be recognized and honoured .
WHAT IS THE Height OF Your   PROFESSION?
 ACP Okoro: Every officer should strive to make a name for his or herself and put themselves in the echelon of crime busting   which is the fundamental in police work. The aspiring officer should look for a mentor. I own all the achievement so far to the IGP Mohammed Abubakar . He is my mentor and I adore him. I have known my boss for over a decade and I have worked with him and learnt from his wisdom and knowledge. He was the one who encouraged me to read law. The Lagos State commissioner of police Umar Manko is also a police man I adore. He gave me the ENABLING environment and the necessary support to carry out investigations. If he had said   the Cynthia’s case should be transferred, then we would not be saying anything about awards and being celebrated. 
How did you achieve so much despite the challenges on the job?
ACP Okoro : The modern technology  involving forensic  investigation has been digitalized- , using computer and the social media to crack cases requires tech knowledge   . What this entails is updating one’s knowledge and expertise. I had to enroll in a technology school where I acquired knowledge in forensic investigation. Also, there is the challenge of human, political and economic pressure trying to make you compromise. When highly placed individuals call you and want the case compromised it makes the job difficult but an astute policeman must stand his ground and say no.
How have you been succeeding in spite of poor infrastructures and equipment to do your work?
ACP  Okoro: There are a lot of training programme for officers as the IGP Mohammed Abubakar  is one person that believes in training and retraining and there are courses in this regards to make officers excel on the job. Like I said, success on the job is a personal aspiration and desire. An officer should have that high innate passion to achieve more – to become an achiever of international repute. This kind of mindset will make you go far in life.
 Would you have preferred another profession?
ACP  Okoro: It has been on my mind to join the police even when I was in school. I am from a family of policemen and I got attracted to the profession I loved so much and I don’t regret it . If I am reincarnated, I would still become a policeman. My experience in the Police Force has been awesome.  I advise other officers to train and retain themselves especially in modern policing and the use of the web and social media. It is left to them to become achievers on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment