Sunday 11 April 2021


 

Anger as battered women weep, appeal to police, rights group to release abusive husbands. 

These are not the best of time for police and rights groups fighting for women as increasing cases of battered women appealing for the release of their  abusive husbands is raising worries, anger  and jeopardising  the fight against domestic violence. 
Last month, the Advocates for Children and Vulnerable Person Network ACVPN recieved distressed call from a mandated reporter that one Mrs Alice Effiong was allegedly battered by her lawyer  husband one Mr  Columbus Effiong  who  removed her front teeth. 
Reports had it that Mrs Effiong has  allegedly  suffered years of domestic violence in the hands of her husband  and following the report, ACVPN Coordinator Mr. Ebenezer Omejalile swung into action and rescued Mrs. Effiong. In thesame vein, they ensured the police  arrested  Mr. Effiong but sadly, instead of cooperating with the rights  group and the police to ensure her husband face the wrath of the law, Mrs. Effiong had turned around to recant her statement adding that her husband was innocent and would want him released immediately.
Speaking on this , Mr. Omejalile expressed sadness over the development. He said " This woman Alice Columbus whose front set of teeth was punched off by her Iron Mike Tyson Lawyer husband, is seriously begging for the man to be released. I can't even imagine the stress we passed through before the man was eventually arrested. She called me yesterday from the State command that all the alarm she raised about her husband was false allegations". 
Speaking further, Mr. Omejalile said "  Several lawyers have been calling me appealing to us to show mercy, I just don't get it"
 It was also gathered that one  Grace Idemudia who was allegedly battered by her husband and his girlfriend  appealed to the police to release him. 
Grace said she  caught her husband with his mistress in their matrimonial bed making love but when she confronted him, her husband  teamed up with his lover  and beat Grace up. They  ended up dislocating her right hand and injuring one of her eyes. Sadly, Grace cried to the right group to have her abusive husband released. 

" This was reported to us on the 14th of March 2020. We ensured the case was transferred to SCID PANTI. Could you believe this woman went to Panti begging for her husband to be released?
I was so pissed I had to block the woman from calling me. She sent several voice note appealing to me"
The voice note " Please sir I am grateful to you for everything you did for me. Please my husband's family and our community members are begging me. They are calling me non stop so that I can have my husband released. I beg you sir release him. He has learnt his lesson. He will not do it again. He will write an undertaking not to touch me again.  Please sir . I am begging you sir. The call is too much. Please  release him and God will be with you sir". 


No comments:

Post a Comment