Monday 20 April 2020


Covid-19: travelers allegedly paying N10,000  bribe to  security operatives at checkpoints for easy passage. 
By Patience Ogbo

Security operatives manning checkpoints on major highways on interstate roads  in Nigeria are allegedly receiving bribe to allow vehicles into states 

Information gathered shows that the security operatives   are allegedly smiling to the banks as they are forcing motorists to part with amount ranging from N10,000 to N50,000 following the sit-at - home  order by the federal government locking down  Lagos, Ogun  and the Federal Capital Territory.  

Following the order, other state governments have also closed the borders into their states ,a move that have prevented free movement of persons and goods.
As the effects of the lockdown takes its toll on citizens, some Nigerians have taken steps to relocate from states  especially Lagos and Ogun States due to hunger and violence to their villages where they feel they will be safer and  have food to eat. 
This movements though not safe is a risk they have chosen but it comes with a price. The huge price involves travelling at night and bribing security operatives at  various check points.
Investigation reveals that the travelers are allegedly  paying security operatives manning the various checkpoints with  monies raging from N10,000 to N50,000 as the case may be.
A traveler who simply identified himself as Joseph said "I had to travel to Enugu state with my family members due to the lockdown. I decided to move two days after the federal government announced the restriction of movement. I left Ibadan for my home in Enugu state with  my private car. My family was with me. When we got to Onitsha bridge, we met a check point. Policemen and soldiers were manning the checkpoints. There were alot of vehicles parked , not allowed to climb the bridge. We asked what the matter was and we were told that the security men were not allowing vehicles to cross expect those giving them bribe. We went closer and found out what amount they want and they said N50,000. I told them I have N10,000 but they said I should go and wait somewhere that  I was not ready to continue with my trip. My family and I had to stay for long time until they collected the money and we were allowed to move. That was not the only checkpoints we gave money "

Another passenger Oche Adeyi said " I was staying in Abuja when the government announced the lock down. I had a wedding to attend. It was my sister's wedding so i decided to take the risk to go house during the Easter celebration. I heard trailers were allowed to travel at night so i went to stand by the highway roadside and i got one trailer. Unknown to me , there were other young men in the trailer with their bags.  We started the journey but at every check point the driver was settling the security men by parting with money at checkpoints from Abuja down to Benue. When I asked him, he said he can settle with N50,000 just to get goods and people to their destinations". 
 One John Daniel in Alpha   blames the security personnel for the movement. He said " Policemen are looking for posting to Highway patrol Unit because that unit has become a juicy posting overnight. This is despite Inspector General of Police IGP Adamant Mohammed issuing a stern warning to persons traveling during the lockdown order but his men and other security officers are aiding the travelers". 

No comments:

Post a Comment