Wednesday 23 March 2011

APAPA CULTISTS ARRESTED

Print print Email email Share Share

The police in Lagos, yesterday, paraded four suspected cultists who allegedly terrorised residents when they engaged in a fight on March 19.
Osifo Emmanuel, 27, Kelvin Ehiro 32, and Tony Ekpo, are alleged to be members of the Aiye Confraternity in the Apapa area of the state; while Amechie Obodike, 25, confessed to be a member of the Eiye Cult also in Apapa.
The suspects were arrested on March 19 during a fracas between the rival cults at the POP Restaurant at Apapa. Witnesses said the cultists engaged one another with dangerous weapons like cutlasses and axes and terrorised residents of the area. The police were alerted, and the youth got arrested.
Their confessions
Mr Emmanuel is alleged to be a leader of the Aiye Cult. He said members of his cult had gone to relax at a popular drinking spot, called Malamido at Apapa, when members of the Eiye Cult attacked them with dangerous weapons. “I am a deejay at POP restaurant at Apapa, and I am a member of the Aiye Cult,” he said. “I graduated from the Polytechnic, Ibadan, and since I came back to Lagos, I have been doing deejay.
On Thursday last week, I was relaxing at the POP restaurant when I heard that our guys were attacked at Malamido. I rushed to the scene and I saw one of my friends, Ovie, in the pool of his own blood. Some people had stabbed him and I rushed him to the hospital. We later found out that the people who attacked that day were Eiye members. We left and on Saturday, I was in POP restaurant where I work and my friends were with me. So that was how police came and pick me up saying that we are planning to attack, so I don’t know anything.”
Mr Obodike also confessed to being a cultist. He said he was forced to join the Eiye cult last December, and was on his way with members of his cult to cause mayhem when he was arrested. “I am a auto mechanic at Apapa,” he said. “One of my friends called me that we should go to POP, he was carrying a cutlass. My friend’s name is Taju and he was the who introduced me to Eiye Cult. That Saturday, we were going to POP when we heard that something was happening and before we escaped, police came and arrested us. Taju ran away but before I could flee, the police held me and brought me to their station. I feel bad involving myself in this kind of thing.”
Police response
Patricia Amadin, spokesperson for the police, said the police is on the trail of the other suspected cultists, and urged members of the public to provide the police with useful information that will lead to the arrest of trouble makers in their community. “The case is under investigation and the suspects will be charged to court soon,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment