Tuesday 30 April 2024

Ibadan residents groan, take to trekking as fuel scarcity bites harder

 



Hundreds of residents in Ibadan the Oyo state capital are experiencing hell at the moment at fuel scarcity which hit the city on Monday has worsen.

Stranded residents were seen at bus stops while roads were empty

The vehicle owners, commercial motorcycle riders thronged fuel stations but despites the hardship they encountered, some left the stations without purchasing fuel.

It was gathered that the fuel stations selling the products hiked the pump price to N900 per litre .


A commercial vehicle owner who identified himself as Jimoh said he slept at one of the fuel stations so as to purchase fuel. " I slept in my car in one of the stations because I couldn't buy fuel on Sunday. I decided that if that is what it takes to get fuel then I will deprive myself of sleep. I ended up buying twenty litres of fuel at N800 per litre. I need fuel for my business so I will hike the fare too so as to make up the money for fuel I bought and take home some profit. Places I used to take a drive to for N200 is now N300 as the case may be ". 

A commercial motorcycle rider who identified himself as Ayo said ". I went to the station around 5am I did not get fuel till 3pm so I decided to patronise the black market. I'm tired of the stress. I can't do my business since morning but I will go out at night so as to make up for lost time. I bought five litres of fuel for N7000. It's sad but I have no choice". 


Some commenters wailed as they couldn't afford the hike in transportation

". I went to quickly meet up for a treatment in the hospital but going home was tough. There were no vehicles nor okada. I waited for long until one finally came and his fare was double the amount. Alot of commuters resorted to trekking so as to cut down the new exhobitant fare"


No comments:

Post a Comment