Monday 12 January 2015

HOW I ESCAPED, RAPISTS , RITUALISTS- 17-YEAR-OLD GIRL.
BY PATIENCE OGBO
That beautiful Ada Nba Agbazue is alive today remains a miracle and hard to explain. Although, at the moment, she is lying critically ill at a hospital at Ilemba Ajangbadi, Lagos with her two hands and left leg fractured.
Ada is writhing in pain  after she fell from the  fourth floor of an  abandoned 18- Storey building at the  Abule-Ajanloco  area of Lagos state on December 26th when she went to meet her  facebook friend.
 Ada said she  is alive to tell her story from her sick bed to teach others to be careful how they make friends on social media .
  She  wept when she told  how  a suspected ritualist she identified as Michael lured her through Facebook and almost killed her in a the uncompleted building .
Ada had, on Sunday, December 28, 2014, got dressed for a date with her Michael   but the meeting which was supposed to end in joy turned sour as her male friend  whom she claimed she had never met before lured her and threatened to kill her with a knife.
Residents of the area saw Ada as she fell from the building thinking that she was a witch but police investigations revealed that Ada was a victim of bad facebook relationship.
Our correspondent  trailed Ada to the hospital where she is receiving treatment and the young lady revealed how she was almost raped and about to be used for ritual purposes before she escaped her attacker by falling  from the building.
Ada was asked how she  met the  man that lured her and she has this to say. What do you do for a living?
Ada: I am a young  school leaver, I wrote JAMB and I am waiting my admission into the university. He told me his name is Michael but he is not any Michael that I know. He told me that he was my facebook friend but I don’t know him anywhere. I don’t know if anybody gave him my number. I know all the Michaels on my facebook but he is not one of them.  He took my phone away. I told people to call my number but the number has been switched off since he went away with my phone. My parents have called the number too but it is still switched off.

Ada further narrated her ordeal in the hands of the suspected ritualist.
“  I don’t know him. That day, I got a call on my mobile phone. My phone was that ringing and ringing.  The man said he wanted to speak with me. I  don’t know how he got my number but he told me that it was from Facebook page but he is not my friend on face book. He told me his name is Michael but he is not any of the Michaels  that I know. I did not see any harm because he said we should meet at the Ile -Nla Bus Stop and that place is a busy place . When I got to the bus stop, I noticed he was looking at the phone and he looked up to see my face. He was standing opposite the road” .
Read further excerpt of the interview with Ada.
What happened after he saw you?
Ada : Like I said,  the number was just calling me.  When I met him, I was looking at his face   he was looking at my face and looking at his phone.  I told him “ I don’t know you” he told me to cross  to the other side of the road where he was standing . He touched me and immediately, I lost my senses. I started following him .  It was just him, no other person was with him. He is a young man around 24 or 25 years old. He told me that he is staying with his mum and brothers  in the uncompleted building and they have neighbours . He told me that they are living inside that building (18 floors abandoned Federal government building  ). As we were going inside the building, this should be about 4.30pm, I saw a lady coming out from the building. I saw passers-by  and people playing ball. When we entered, he  took me to the fourth floor and when we entered a big room, I saw clothes. He told me that even the other side there have neighbours there. When we were climbing up the stairs, I told him that I was tired and he was pleading with me. I saw some strange diagrams, cultists diagrams painted on the wall. I saw a human head by the wall. The head is not fresh but the head has long weavon(attachment) on it . I was scared when I saw the head .  I wanted to go back but he brought out a knife . I was kind of scared but not too scared . He ordered me to  climb up into the wider room. The place is looking like an umbrella and it has many windows . He ordered me to leave the window. They inscribed the word Buccaneer on the wall. He told me that he is a Buccaneer and I saw a lot of cultists diagrams on the wall. I moved away and he told me to start pulling off my clothes. I told him you are not my husband so I cannot pull off my clothes for you;he told me that I was proving stubborn but I continued to beg him, but the more I begged me, he was using the knife to threaten me. He said if he calls his friends, it will be too much for me oo. He  started making calls, he made the first call and he started calling the second person. He told me that I should not try to run that if I try  to run, he will catch me because he knows his way around. He moved to a tiny corner of the room while  making calls . I moved closer to the window and I try to climb down by holding a pole that I saw. At this point, he ran to me and held my hand trying to prevent me from escaping . I used my other hand to push him and that was how I fell to the ground.
What happened after you fell, were you unconscious?
Ada:  No I was not. I felt only sharp pains. He ran away after I fell . people came around and helped me. I was in pain. Later the police came and took me away in their van. The police took me to two hospitals but they rejected me. One of the hospitals gave me injection and pain killers. I used somebody’s phone to call my parents and they came and took me to a private hospital . My two hands are broken and they are in  cast(Plaster of Paris). My left leg too is broken and in cast too. I came move my leg but I am feeling sharp pains on my left lap.
What do you do for a living?
Ada: I am a young  school leaver, I wrote JAMB and I am waiting my admission into the university.
What is the name of this man ?
Ada: He told me his name is Michael but he is not any Michael that I know. He told me that he was my facebook friend but I don’t know him anywhere. I don’t know if anybody gave him my number. I know all the Michaels on my facebook but he is not one of them.
Did he take anything from you?
Ada: Yes. He took my phone away. I told people to call my number but the number has been switched off since he went away with my phone. My parents have called the number too but it is still switched off.
What did you think happened to you there in the building?
Ada: My being alive is a miracle and I am grateful to God. With what I saw in that room, that man can be a cultist, he can be a ritualist . He told me that he is a Buccaneer .
Has the police contacted you to find out what really happened because the Lagos state police Public Relations officer DSP  Kenneth Nwosu  said police men came to see you but you refused to cooperate with the police to arrest the man?
Ada: The police took me to the hospitals but I was rejected. It was my parents that brought me to this private clinic. I did not refuse to cooperate with the police .  When the police came, I told them what happened but  the policemen  said it was a lie and they went away without taking my statement. I want the guy to be arrested so that other women and girls will not fall victim. In my case, I was hypnotized and this can happen to anybody. The police should investigate  so as to stop him from hurting other people.
Our correspondent  visited the building where Ada was almost killed and investigations revealed that the 18 storey building which the residents said belonged to the  federal government is a white elephant project  which has been abandoned for decades but serves as home to  auto mechanics, petty traders and other artisans  who are  using the surroundings for business purposes.
 Also aside the trading  going on around the building, there is also a football field beside the building  where youth in the area meet to play football.
Though the environment looked busy, residents in the area said they are scared of entering the building as they alleged that ritualists used the place as hideout for their nefarious acts.
A resident who  identified himself as Jide Olarawaju said “ I have been living in this neigbourhood for the past three years but I have heard stories that the building belongs to the Federal Government . The building has been abandoned for many years and there is no sign that the government is going to do anything. The place is a huge white elephant project wasting away without benefitting anybody except the ritualists who have turned the place to their den. I learnt that they have seen dead human beings there so a lot of people avoid entering the place .  It would be nice if the government can take over the building or sale it to private people instead of them leaving it fallow for ritualists and killers to use as their hideout. That place is gigantic enough for a big factory or residential building , the floors have tiles  and the place is worth billions of naira if put to meaniful use but it is sadly wasting away”
When the Lagos state police spokes person Kenneth Nwosu was asked if any arrest has been made over the incident, he said the suspect  is still on the loose.
“The police have not arrested him. This is due to the girl’s refusal to cooperate with the police. I want to use this medium to advise the youth to be extra careful about friends on social media. A lot of youth have been hurt through facebook and other online  sites . I want the parents to monitor their children and wards and ensure that they are careful and not fall victims to criminals on social media”

No comments:

Post a Comment