Thursday 11 July 2013

Police brutality victim refuses to press charges

Author(s): Patience Ogbo
A 35-year-old woman, Tope Moore, who was brutalised by policemen attached to the Pedro Police Station in Lagos State has said she is not interested in seeking justice. The policemen had pushed Moore over a fence and beat her mercilessly until she soiled herself.
The abuse followed allegations that Moore’s younger brother, Bolaji Moore, led cultists who killed one Osondu Boobu (25) at the Famous Hotel in Bariga area of Lagos State on June 9.
Moore was subsequently arrested by the police after Bolaji fled the area and she was detained at the Pedro Police Station with the faeces and urine on her body.
Tope Martins alleges that she was brutalised by policemen who detained her in her younger brother's stead.
Tope Moore alleges that she was brutalised by policemen who detained her in her younger brother’s stead.
She said that the police forced her to pay N15,000 as bail. Despite paying the money, she and five other people were transferred to the Homicide Department of the State Criminal Investigation Department in Panti, Yaba on charges of conspiracy and murder.
Moore was detained for five days while police used her wanted brother as collateral for her release. She would have continued to languish in the cell but for the timely intervention of a community leader and human rights activist, Vincent Olatunde, who brought Moore’s plight to limelight.
Inquiries by Nigerian Telegraph at the office of Umar Manko, the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Police Command, brought Miss Moore’s ordeal to the CP’s attention.
Furious at the behaviour of the policemen, Mr. Manko ordered their detention and directed that Miss Moore be freed.
Lagos CP, Umaru Manko ordered the detention of the policemen who brutalised Miss Moore.
Lagos CP, Umaru Manko ordered the detention of the policemen who brutalised Miss Moore.
However, more than two weeks after regaining her freedom, Miss Moore has turned down legal assistance from human rights lawyers, who besieged her to seek justice.
When contacted on the phone about her reasons for doing so, Miss Moore said that she was scared to be hurt again.
“I’m scared. I do not want any wahala (trouble) with the police. I have forgiven them and I do not want justice. My family members told me to leave everything to God so that’s what I have decided to do. I just want to live my life and take care of my business and children. This ugly incident has almost ruined my marriage plans as my fiance’s family is not happy. I leave everything to God to judge the policemen.
“If policemen can hold a gun to my son’s head and force him to tell them where I was, and the way they treated me, I don’t have the strength to fight them. I have treated myself and I am okay,” Moore said.
Mr. Olatunde said Miss Moore’s refusal to seek justice is an indication that Nigerians have lost faith in the police and the government.
“Obviously, this woman is scared to fight for her rights. This is what happens where impunity is the order of the day. It is bad that people can no longer fight for their rights and when they are brutalised they fear to speak up due to intimidation.”
SOURCE; NIGERIAN TELEGRAPH

No comments:

Post a Comment