Saturday 8 March 2014

Armed men lay siege to Ikorodu community

Armed men lay siege to Ikorodu community
The residents of Shanle community, Ikorodu have appealed to the Lagos State government and security agencies to save them from armed men that have laid a siege to the community for weeks.
The people of Shale said the gunmen, numbering about 100 and believed to be from the neighbouring Jajo community stormed their village on February 17th and have continued to unleash terror on them since.
When our correspondent visited Shanle, some of the armed men were seen loitering around while building sites were destroyed. Reports say the gunmen claimed they were acting on the orders of one Mr. Lamina, popularly known as Sir K.
The residents said the armed men claimed that that Shanle belongs to them and that they have restored to force to reclaim it.
Balogun Sonubi, the secretary of the Ogunbashe/Odunekan royal family of Shanle said the gunmen are land grabbers on a mission to take what lawfully belongs to his family.
Narrating how the gunmen invaded the community, 85- year-old Sonubi said residents were thrown into panic and confusion.
“On Febuary 16th, I came home and found a paper from the Area “N” police command that I am wanted in the station. I went to the station and I was informed that I am under arrest for gun possession and that I have cocaine in my house. The police told me that people from Jajo reported that I am threatening their lives. I was shocked and embarrassed at this allegation and I denied that I knew nothing they were accusing me of. The police detained me and I was granted bail.
“The next day, I was at home when a group of boys with machetes and other dangerous weapon stormed my house. They told me that they are from Sir K, whom we know as Lamina and they said Shanle village belonged to them and they have come to take what rightfully belonged to them. The hoodlums were led by one Waheedi Yaya Oshin, who claimed to be the new Baale (traditional ruler) in Jajo. I was shocked because this land belonged to our great grand-parents and we have been living in the village for more than 500 years. Jajo shares boundary with us, but there has never been any problem until last week when some people are coming to claim our land”.
Sonubi said he reported the matter to the Federal Special Anti- Robbery Squad at Adeniji Adele.
“I do not want the men in Shanle to confront these boys from Jajo. I have reported to Federal SARS and I am expecting them to come and arrest the trouble maker . The boys from Jajo removed the sign board we erected and they have been on ground, harassing us. They are busy collecting money from us, shooting as they please.”
The petition he sent to the police identified one Suraju Yaya Oshin, Akeem Aripo, Waheed Oshin and others of ‘conspiracy, unlawful possession of fire-arms, malicious damage and threat to life.’
A resident of the area, who requested anonymity, said he was considering relocating from the community because of  the threats.
“I have been living in this community since 2003. Everywhere has been peaceful until some gun men started terrorising us. On Saturday 22nd February, ten armed men on okada (motorcycle) stormed my house and stopped the renovations work going on. They flogged the men working. They seized the tools they were using and I asked them whom they were. The men told me they are new owner of Shanle village and I should meet them at Jajo so they can tell me what to do to continue staying on the land. They took all the building materials and left. I traced them to Jajo and they told me to pay money for ratification of land. They also charged the bricklayers N15,000. While they asked me to pay N50,000. I told them I am a civil servant and I don’t have that amount. They later forced me to part with N6000. I  am living in fear with my family. If I have my way, I will relocate from this community.”
Another resident of the community, who identified himself as Mr. Eze, said the gunmen are bent on causing public disorder.
“I came back from my business and I was told that some men came to my neighbor’s house to carry their building materials away. I have been living in Shanle since 2010. As I was relaxing in my house, the gun men moved into the compound again and started beating the bricklayers up. I tried to speak with these boys, but they took the tools away. They said we have to pay for the land again or they will keep terrorising us. The police must step in to prevent the loss of lives and property.”
The traditional ruler of the community, Mr. Salau Bakare said the armed men also invaded his house and opened fire at his family.
“On February 17th, about 12noon, about 50 of the armed men stormed my compound and they told me that they were in my house to kill me. I told them they can’t. They came on motorcycle. They moved to the next community and on their way back, they started shooting. There was commotion in the
air. People were running, my family members ran away. The hoodlums told me they are from Jajo, a neighouring community we share boundary with.
“The Baale of Jajo, Samson Ekudebe Abudu came to see me and he told me his nephew, one Waheedi Yaya Oshin is the one behind the mayhem. The armed men stole my Toyota Camry car. They have been going around collecting money from people building houses, terrorizing others.  They set construction sites ablaze .They claimed to own Shanle. But the Baale told me the elders of Jajo did not send the armed men. We implore the government and the police authorities to come to our rescue to stop this reckless behaviour of these senseless men”
The Lagos State commissioner of police, Mr. Umar Manko said officers from the Special Anti Robbery Squad Ikeja will be deployed to restore order in the community
“I will direct SARS policemen to go there and arrest any trouble maker,” he said.
Sharing is loving…FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+

Leave a Comment




No comments:

Post a Comment